The Concept
The Boat
Bringing Her Home
Progress Log
The Boat Barn
Other Sites
Email Tim





Progress Report:  2005

Archives Menu     Main Project Menu

January  February  March  April  May  June  July  August  September  October  November  December

The Final Logs
October 2005 - December 2005

With the boat back inside my shop, cleaned, and unloaded, I took some time away from the project.  For several weeks, I did nothing; I had another job in the shop, and covered the boat with plastic to prevent excess dust from landing on her or doing other damage.  I had a brief punch list of jobs, but saw no immediate need to take care of them.

Of more immediate concern was attempting to market the boat for sale.  While she had garnered much attention during her exposure while afloat for sea trials, she was now once again hidden from view and out of the public eye.  I placed several advertisements in local media, and even tried a stint on Ebay, hoping that the exposure might draw out a truly interested buyer.  While I had much response from the auction, no serious bidders emerged.

I was beginning to weigh the pros and cons of listing with a broker when, out of the blue, I was contacted by a person who seemed genuinely interested in the boat.  We exchanged emails and phone calls, during which I answered his myriad questions about the boat, and presently I drew up a simple purchase agreement to seal the deal.  I was pleased that the boat had found an enthusiastic owner.

With that, I made plans to complete the punch list and install some electronics that the new owner wanted, and prepared to deliver the boat to him sometime in January once we had closed on the sale.  I was pleased to find that the boat would stay in Maine.

Conceiving and building this boat was a thoroughly enjoyable project, made all the more pleasing by the fact that the finished product so closely paralleled my initial vision.  Working only from a single, undetailed drawing that I made early in the process, I built the boat mostly by eye, and by feel, referring to some basic measurements on the scale drawing from time to time during the framing stage.

Though I bought the boat in December 2002, I did little work until June 2003, at which time I removed the deck and most of the interior.  During the remainder of the summer of 2003, I whittled away at the interior structure until all that remained was the bare hull shell.  In October 2003, when the new boat shop was complete, the now-empty hull moved indoors, and the real work began.

Through the winter of 2003-2004, I installed bulkheads and deck framing, time-consuming jobs that were critical to the ultimate configuration of the boat.  I managed to get some of the deck sheathing in place during the summer of 2004, but it wasn't until nearly December 2004 that I really got going on completing the deck, cockpit, and interior. 

Working steadily and nearly full time through the winter of 2004-2005, and well into the summer of 2005, I completed the remaining projects--deck fairing, building a cockpit, completing the interior and cabin trunk, hull and deck painting, striking the waterline, installing the engine, fuel system, electrical system, and through hull fittings, and the myriad trim details above and belowdecks.  After months of overtime work, the boat was finally ready for launching in August 2005.

I was pleased with the way the boat sat on her lines, and with the overall appearance of the design.  The new diesel engine was competent, and no major problems had been brought to light so far.  After some rigging-related delays, I was finally able to take her for a sail about a week after launching, and was pleased with her performance, the size of the cockpit, and the general layout.

Certainly the comments from passers by were nice to hear, as they were uniformly positive and interested.  It seemed to make the long, often frustrating--yet entirely rewarding--construction process worth all the toil and trouble.

Click here for more photos of the completed boat.

What's next?  As of this writing, I was working on relocating my business, Lackey Sailing and Northern Yacht Restoration, to a new property, and constructing  a new boat facility there. For more information on the new facility, please click here.

On deck for restoration attention are my 23' Lyman runabout, Sprite, and fire-damaged 35' Allied Seabreeze yawl, Pixie.


All photos and text on this site 2002-2009 by Timothy C. Lackey and Lackey Sailing, LLC
All rights reserved.