110 Cookson Lane | Whitefield, ME  04353 | 207-232-7600 |  tim@lackeysailing.com

Waanderlust Project--Phase III | Wednesday, September 14, 2011


To ease into the day, I began with the eyebrow, and trimmed the excess bungs from yesterday.  Afterwards, I dabbed some varnish on the bungs so the whole surface would be relatively consistent.  In the near future I'd start building up coats of varnish on the entire eyebrow.

    

I'd had my doubts about the jig I'd created for cutting scarfs in the toerails, but decided it worthy of a test, so I set up a sample and made a cut.  I was not pleased with how it worked or with its accuracy, so I started looking in new directions.

It occurred to me--better late than never--that I could make the cuts on the table saw with a simple angled jig.  I began to build the jig, but before I could complete and test it, the saw stopped working.  The problem seemed to lie in the saw's magnetic switch, the workings of which were and remain a complete mystery to me, so after trying everything I could, including removing the motor cover and cleaning out accumulated dust, lest that be the problem (it wasn't),  I ordered a replacement switch, hoping that would solve the problem.  Unfortunately, the new switch wouldn't arrive till later in the week, so I was out of commission as far as any substantial woodworking went.

Disappointed and frustrated, as I'd very much wanted to continue with the toerail work, I regrouped and focused instead on the other items on my to-do list.  To bring the morning session to a close, I removed all the standing rigging from the mast, something that would need to be done no matter the outcome of the various spar repair/rebuilding questions (still pending), and, since the mast had had a few days to nicely dry out (it had been damp beneath the old, obviously worn-out tarps that it had been wrapped in), I covered it securely with new plastic tubing to keep moisture out.

I noted that the mast was lacking a headstay, though all the other stays were in place.


In the afternoon, I worked on several systems-related items in the boat, beginning  with the through hull for the galley sink.  Last week, I'd installed the backing plate, and now I went through the various preparations to install the through hull:  a dry fit; drilling the bolt holes; and finally installing and bolting down the through hull fitting in plenty of polyurethane sealant.

         

Next, I installed a bronze raw water strainer (sea strainer) for the engine intake, locating it on the starboard engine room bulkhead above the raw water seacock.  Earlier, I'd preinstalled 90 sweep nipples on the strainer.  With the strainer installed, I cut and connected new hose between it and the seacock, and between the strainer and the nearby engine raw water pump.

    

I continued work in the engine room with the fuel system.  After installing fittings on the new Racor turbine filter, and turning the filter around 180 in its housing so the inlet would face the way I wanted (aft), I installed the filter on the port side of the engine room, with excellent access for observation and servicing.  Then, I ran 5/16" fuel hose and connected the engine return and supply to the fuel tank, and made up the other connections between tank, filter, and engine as necessary, securing the hose along the way.

         

It was also a good time to install the galley sink foot pump, which I located on the port galley cabinet near the aft end.

    

Total Time Billed on This Job Today:  6.75 hours

<Previous | Next>