~MENU~

Home
The Concept
The Boat
Bringing Her Home
Weekly
Progress Log
Daysailor
Projects
     
The Boat Barn
Resources
Other Sites
Email Tim
 
 

 

                   

 

 

Systems:  Diesel Exhaust System

 
I began the exhaust installation at the transom.  I purchased a bronze exhaust outlet appropriately sized for the exhaust hose needed--1-1/2" in this case, and now prepared to install it.  First, I chose the desired location on the outside, marked it, and drilled a hole to allow the fitting to slip through.  Then, I marked and drilled pilot holes for the three mounting bolts.  Removing the fitting, I tapped the holes for 1/4-20 bolts, and then drilled small countersinks beneath each fastener location to provide a small reservoir of sealant when they were installed. 

After confirming the setup, I installed the fitting in a heavy bed of polysulfide, and threaded in the three fasteners.  Then, from inside, I applied washers and nuts to the protruding bolts and tightened them down.  To allow the hose to properly fit over the fitting, I then cut off the excess bolt length.



With the fitting installed and the excess sealant cleaned up, I began to run the exhaust hose.  I had a 12-foot section of wire-reinforced exhaust hose on hand, so I decided to begin at the transom.  From inside the engine room, up beneath the port sidedeck, I drilled a large hole through the after bulkhead--large enough to allow passage of the hose, plus  a strip of split hose that I wrapped around the inside of the opening as chafe protection.



With that complete, I ran the hose through to the transom, where I secured it to the new fitting with double hose clamps.  Then, I routed the hose up to just beneath the deck, and secured it in place with cushion clamps and, in one spot, a cable tie.  This elevated loop immediately at the transom fitting would help prevent backflow of seawater into the exhaust system.



Next, I pulled the slack forward into the next compartment, and secured the hose with more cushion clamps.  Then, I turned my attention to the waterlift.  I had purchased a fiberglass waterlift, and now chose a location just to port of the engine, but still below the exhaust manifold outlet for best performance and protection.    After confirming the location, I secured the waterlift to the hull (after grinding away the paint on the hull) with thickened epoxy adhesive, and left it to cure overnight.

In the morning, with the waterlift now permanently secured, I cut and fit the hose run from the transom, securing it to the outlet on the waterlift.  With the remaining hose, I connected the engine exhaust manifold to the inlet on the waterlift, completing the system,
Back to the Main Menu>
 

All photos and text on this site 2002-2009 by Timothy C. Lackey and Lackey Sailing, LLC
All rights reserved.