December 2002, I decided to undertake an interesting, unique, and
aggressive project: transform a derelict 1960 Pearson Triton hull
into a new and stylish daysailor. The seed of the idea
began to grow when I located a potential "donor" hull in Massachusetts,
which was in poor enough condition to warrant the sort of drastic
changes I had in mind.
more about the original concept here.
the next 2-1/2 years, I worked to first dismantle the existing boat,
removing the decks and interior until all I had remaining was a hull
shell, and to then rebuild the boat from scratch, using a vision that
existed in my head as a guide. The project came to fruition in
August, 2005, when I launched the boat in Maine for sea trials.
would I do such a thing? Well, for starters, I did it because I
wanted the challenge of a new project, and because I felt that Carl
Alberg's Triton hull design was well worthy of the reconfiguration
ahead. I did it for the experience, for the fun of it, and, at
least at the beginning, to help while away the long winters in Maine.
From the beginning, I hoped to sell the boat when complete, even though
from a purely mercenary perspective the project wasn't necessarily the
most logical place to get my feet wet.
During construction, I posted weekly construction updates to this site. By
following the weekly logs from their inception, one can watch the entire
build process, from initial demolition to launching. Contained in
each week's log are links to detailed project pages that document each
aspect of the build.
Click here to go to the log archives
If you prefer, you can view a chronological listing of the various
projects by clicking here.
for the chronological project list.